Monday, February 22, 2016

Webseries with a Message

You may (or may not) know that many years ago I was involved in producing a webseries. Just a little comedy series, heavily influenced by The Guild, Spaced, and Scott Pilgrim. It did okay. Things happened. I don't want to talk about it.

However, through that I did meet a bunch of cool people who have continued to make webseries and internet movies. Rather than talk about my experiences with webseries, I just wanted to highlight a little series that has recently hit the internet.

Jack Gregory has been making movies and films for as long as I've known him, and he's never given up. His latest project is clever, emotional and really hits hard.



His series "Welcome to Icinicorp" is the simplest set up. One camera. One room. One actor. Improvised.

Set in a dystopian future where emotion is outlawed, the actors are given the premise and run with it. It's powerful stuff that deals with mental illness in a raw and emotional level. It's never an easy watch, but shows just how you can get a message across in a video, with zero budget, zero tech, and a whole lot of drive.


The first three videos are up online. As I said, it's not an easy watch - it's not the laugh a minute I was aiming for in my efforts - but it highlights a lot of issues and deserves a look and sharing.


Okay, back to the usual game-related nonsense next post, I promise...



No comments: